Saturday, May 29, 2010

Mom, I'm bored!



School is out!  How long until you hear, "Mom, I'm bored"?  Time will tell, but be prepared when that time comes sooner than you thought.   Recently I asked my kids what are some things they would like to do at home this summer that we don't get to do very often.  I wrote down everything they said!  And then later I looked under the beds and in closets for all those toys that need time to put together or don't get played with very often.  I wrote down everything I saw that I know they like but don't play with during the average week.

I then took ALL of the ideas and wrote them on strips of paper and put them in a jar.  Its the official "I'm bored" jar of summer 2010 and I am hoping it works.  Most are activities we can do at home with what we have.

Here are some things in our jar to get your own ideas going:
  • Make a movie ( I will gladly turn the camcorder over to them for a few moments of peace)
  • Watch old home movies
  • Paint
  • Make a dessert
  • Board games ( I have several listed by name in the jar)
  • Puzzles
  • Card games
  • Train track 
  • Water Bombs
  • Sidewalk paint and chalk
  • Legos ( I have every building set we own named in that jar!)
  • Write letters to friends and family
  • Trip to cash in our coins ( Coinstar followed by bank)
  • Art photography ( take pics of art from last school year)
  • Set up play tents
  • Art projects
  • Many  more but you get the idea, I did name toys and games specifically because we all know "Go play" does not work.....
I would love to hear your ideas too!

1 comment:

  1. The jar is a great idea. And searching for forgotten toys and activities to rediscover is also a great idea.

    We have a "summer box" filled with cheap projects and supplies that I have collected over several months. Evan also likes to make a "summer wish list" of things he would like to do over the summer break. He enjoys checking things off his list.

    ReplyDelete