Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Slow Cooker Long Grain Chicken and Rice Casserole: Recipe Worth Sharing

This is a recipe I have scribbled on a piece of paper years ago but I never tried it.  Now that I have it will be on our menu often, it was a hit with the kids!  It is a good, creamy, comfort food type dish and so easy.  It is not gourmet or low sodium ( but you can lower sodium levels by using low sodium broth and soup)!   See my notes at the bottom

You'll need:

1 1b chicken ( I used 2 large chicken breasts)
1 can chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 box of Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice
1 1/2 cups water

Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown on both sides.  Add all ingredients including the seasoning packet from the rice to the slow cooker and cook on high for at least 4 hours.

That is the recipe I had, but my chicken went in frozen and it was fine.  The chicken was very tender at the end so I used my big spoon and broke in into smaller pieces.  I would say this recipe feeds 4 ( it fed us with leftovers, 2 adults and 3 kids),  and would be easy to double. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment