School is out! How long until you hear, "Mom, I'm bored"? Time will tell, but be prepared when that time comes sooner than you thought. Recently I asked my kids what are some things they would like to do at home this summer that we don't get to do very often. I wrote down everything they said! And then later I looked under the beds and in closets for all those toys that need time to put together or don't get played with very often. I wrote down everything I saw that I know they like but don't play with during the average week.
I then took ALL of the ideas and wrote them on strips of paper and put them in a jar. Its the official "I'm bored" jar of summer 2010 and I am hoping it works. Most are activities we can do at home with what we have.
Here are some things in our jar to get your own ideas going:
- Make a movie ( I will gladly turn the camcorder over to them for a few moments of peace)
- Watch old home movies
- Make a dessert
- Board games ( I have several listed by name in the jar)
- Card games
- Train track
- Water Bombs
- Sidewalk paint and chalk
- Legos ( I have every building set we own named in that jar!)
- Write letters to friends and family
- Trip to cash in our coins ( Coinstar followed by bank)
- Art photography ( take pics of art from last school year)
- Set up play tents
- Art projects
- Many more but you get the idea, I did name toys and games specifically because we all know "Go play" does not work.....