Thursday, September 6, 2012

Knick Knack to Wall Art

I do love decorating a kids room, having 3 boys I can only imagine decorating a girls room would be soooo much fun!  For the first time in a few years, my older two have their own rooms so it was time to personalize and there seemed to be nothing to hang on the walls!  For my sea and shark lover, I made several things for his walls, including this whale project.

I found this whale figurine for about $.40 at the thrift store and thought the whale part was really cute, but not the fake coral. Well in my mind you can put anything in a frame, so I did!  I gently chiseled both whales free and it went better than I expected. I thought it would shatter or split in the  middle but it was worth the risk.  I used a thrift store frame, but changed my mind and opted for a different shape than in the before picture.  


Here is the before:


And here is what I did:


The blue is scrapbook paper is mod podged down very well or the whales would pull the paper off.  I got out my handy dandy Gorilla Glue and glued the whales to the paper and mounted it in my painted thrift store frame.  I call it an improvement!!


Here is where I hung it:

I mounted his shark teeth in the round frame and rescued the framed seahorse from the thrift store as you can see in this photo.
One day I will get brave enough to photograph his whole room, wait I don't think I can do that... he is an 8 year old Lego lover, I would break my neck just trying.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment