Thursday, September 6, 2012

Making a Plate Wall

I have had at least one plate hanging on my walls since the first house I could call my own, and it happened to be one of the ones I used below.  I've had it for over 15 years.  I love almost all things blue and white and have yet to get tired of that look.   Pinterest helped me decide I wanted a big impact plate wall in my dining room so this is how it turned out.


I
I found all of these at thrift stores and paid anywhere from .10 - 1.00 each.  I did not want all the little wire hangers showing so I found a neat invisible hanger called disc hangers, dischangers.com, that stuck on the back and could be removed with warm water, BUT they were $2-$4 each.  That was not going to work for this thrift store junkie.  Here is my solution:


Those metal clips are D-rings, you would find these on the back of frames and they are found in hardware stores near all the other picture hanging hardware.  I used Gorilla Glue (see update below) and glued the D ring to the plate for about  $.10 a plate.  Keep in mind, this is somewhat permanent.  In theory you can scrap/chisel gorilla glue off but I wouldn't do this to any plate you would ever want to use in another way.  They have been up for months and have 3 boys thundering by them daily and are still hanging firmly where I put them.  

I laid my plates on the floor to get a layout, and did a few rough measurements to decide how high to hang the top one.  Mostly I eyeballed it and tried to space them evenly.    I love the results!  Dirt cheap too!  

Need a plate collection?  I can find them for you, CHEAP!  Message me for details!

UPDATE:  I have since used an ES 6000 type glue and I like it even better for this purpose, but it stinks so use in a well ventilated area.

Find me on pinterest, instagram as selinagj, or my facebook page.  In all of these places you'll find lots of repurposed projects!

Linked up to:

19 comments:

  1. LOVE this!!! I have plates on my kitchen walls! Going to try for sure:) I posted "chic americana" and "chalk board table" to Creative bloggers Tuesday. Following you now. Follow me too at www.sewsweetvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm following you now, thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Thank You for sharing! I'm so trying this!! ~Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a TON OF LITTLE Vacation Plates from my Husband's Great Aunt (you know those plates you buy when you are on vacation somewhere) and I want to hang them (LOTS OF THEM) above a bed and use them as a head board type thing. Got any suggestions how to lay them out to figure out the shape and size? TIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could use painter's tape on your wall to find a shape you like and then leave it up while you starting hanging. I would avoid perfect rows and columns, it could be a measuring nightmare! You can also cut a shape out of brown craft paper and play with arrangements on that on the floor. Once you find the arrangement you like. You could trace each plate and then using painter's tape and tape that paper on the wall. Then you can put a nail through the paper and when you take the paper down, your nails will be ready for you to hang your plates. I think mimicking a headboard with a curved top would be beautiful!

      Delete
    2. You probably could use the tabs of soda cans - look a bit like the hangers. Just thinking, never have done this

      Delete
  4. As an artist I used the ES 6000 glue once and never again, as my supply company claimed it was great. I used it to secure an artificial eagle talon in a dance staff, I do Native American Artwork and was in Kentucky at a powwow and it was hot and the glue did not hold once the sunlight was on that item with the ES 6000 glue. Luckily I noticed the item started to separate before any customers saw it and put it away. I would never recommend this glue for any item that might get warm or is located where the sunlight might be on it for several hours. Deborah:www.lonewolfwoman.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the plates as I too have many vintage plates IN THE CABINET! I saw a similar post about plate hanging on walls sometime last year and thought I'd do the same. Thank goodness the plate that FELL off the wall I had picked up at a thrift store and didn't have a family history and sentimental value to it. I am pretty sure the post suggested HOT GLUE to put the hangers on the back of the plate with and after a week . . . "CRASH!!!!!" and a mess all over the floor! Then I read the post about the ES 6000 glue so I'm skeptical about plate hanging now! They ARE beautiful and a great way to display them. I have some gorgeous plates handed down by grandmothers that I don't want to see in 100 pieces on the floor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I would NOT do hot glue. While I think the ES600 glue would hold, mine still are, I don't know if you'd ever get it off easily if you wanted them down. I have 3 boys who run and jump through the house and I've never had one fall off the wall with E6000. I've changed my plate wall up and even hung a platter this way..

      Delete
  6. I use pop tops from soda pop cans and glue them with E6000 glue. Even cheaper yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You mentioned that you could help us to find thrifty plates...where would you recommend? I already use Goodwill, Salvation Army but my favorite little thrift shop in town is closing next month. I have a business using vintage plates, vases, etc. so will need more leads. Thanks for any help you can give me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at different thrift stores and occasionally find a good box of plates at an estate auction. I was trying to sell collections of coordinating plates, but I've not had much luck doing it,

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for this neat and creative idea. So how do you hang them on the wall securely without damage to the wall? Especially living in a rental unit.thanks again for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small plates will work with a small nail, I mostly use those little picture hangers where the nail is angled and it has a hook.

      Delete
  9. Estate sales and garage sales in older established areas of town. Auctions are another good source of plates. You might also advertise on Craigs List.( I have gotten many off the wall items, antiques, tools and other items that someone reading the ads would say "Oh yeah, we have some of those old plates that grandma had still packed in our garage." Hope this helps. I recommend that if you are going to do the plate grouping, have a theme like the above blue plates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am yard sale shopping and thrift store shopping all the time :)

      Delete
  10. I wonder if Liquid Nail would also work. I used it to glue a cabinet door panel on, so it must be strong. Has anyone tried it on plates?

    ReplyDelete