Thursday, October 25, 2012

Cross Made from Picture Frames

Its really neat how ideas you see on Pinterest, blogs, and images that have always been in your head come together in a perfect storm of AWESOMENESS!


One of my favorite images I have ever found on Pinterest was this beauty from Lucy Designs and my caption said, "I want to do this!"


Well I've not done it....but it inspired me in a way to make this!


Someone gave me a box of cheap certificate frames and I was wondering what to do with them.  The idea for this cross came to mind, so I persuaded my hubby to help me get set up and started on this project one Sunday afternoon.  I didn't buy anything to make this, I love that!

I broke the cheap frames apart by stepping on them and pulling up.  I had a few chunkier broken frames and some spare short pieces of molding I used too.  I cut everything in 4 inch pieces.  The pieces are attached to a thin piece of plywood that I fished out of the construction debris trailer when we were getting new windows.  An air nailer/stapler was used to attach everything to the plywood.  Below you can see it after I filled the holes but before I painted it.  I really wanted wood tones and wished I had not used the white and gold pieces, but I used brown paint, stain and glaze to make it all look like wood.  The paint job only took about 5 minutes.


This one is big, 3 feet tall, and I want to play with this idea and make some smaller things.  Cheap and or broken frames seem very easy to find.  What other things do you think would look good with this stacked molding look?

Follow me on Pinterest, http://pinterest.com/selinaj

Homespun Happenings

7 comments:

  1. What a great re-purpose! Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! We have a bunch of old frames and I love a project that doesn't cost a dime. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a great idea for those frames. great thinking and great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I was scrolling through the link ups on Wow Us Wednesday and I saw your cross. I clicked on it because my husband makes crosses out of old architectural elements so I'm always interested them. I'm glad I did because I see where Lucy inspired you with her butterfly. I am lucky enough to be "real life" friends with her and she will be thrilled to know she inspired you! I can't wait to share it with her! She is super sweet and super talented. Keep on creating!
    Peace!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that, I do love her work, especially this butterfly!

      Delete
  5. Great idea on using the molding for this...I love it! Glad you were inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by!! I saw your molding trees and love them too!!! Keep on creating, you are great!

      Delete