Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fancy Chalkboard Upcycle


I was thrilled to find this at a thrift store, but less than thrilled to find it was not wood but high density foam.  But being foam, mirror-less, and covered in one heck of a sorry stain job meant a great price.  When I saw it I immediately thought chalkboard :)


It turned out exactly like I wanted, yay!  I sawed off 2 little feet off the bottom so it was rest level when not hung.  I then sanded very lightly some of the drips and runs and started spray painting.  It was easy to paint, but took lots of coats.  A little sanding and distressing and the fancy frame was finished.  I had my handy husband cut me a piece of fiberboard with his table saw and I gave it several coats of chalkboard paint.  We decided using the air stapler was the best way to attach the chalkboard and the hanging wire. It worked beautifully.  



 I didn't even try to find a place for this in my house, as much as I loved it.  I knew I would have to rethink a whole room if I kept it and I have rethought rooms for a year and am finally through with a few of them!  My friend and her 16 year old daughter are redoing her bedroom in a fun Paris theme and thought this would be perfect, I agree.  Thank to Kim for being a GREAT customer of Pretty Purple Treasures!

I am linking up to:
Thrifty Decor Chick's October Before and After Party
The Girl Creative
Sugar Bee Crafts
Timewashed, Blissful White Wednesday
Funky Junk Interiors

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely piece! It looks so great with the white paint! You did a fabulous job! I know your friend's daughter will love having it!

    Thanks so much for linking to Blissful Whites Wednesday!!
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have a few more white projects I will share in the future! What a great idea for a link party!

      Delete
  2. You wouldn't know it wasn't wood, it came out so nicely! Great job and I bet it looks fab in a girls room.

    ReplyDelete