Sunday, October 21, 2012

Upcycled Wall Panels

I love these decorative wall panels and guess where they came from?  They were drawer fronts from a large 1970's buffet I bought at an auction for $10.  I am going to paint the furniture for my entry and I did not need the drawers, I am putting in baskets.  After looking at the thick carved drawers fronts, I noticed the part you see below is actually plastic and came right off with minimal prying!  My furniture piece is giving me several projects now, I love it!


 I primed and spray painted these and sanded for light distressing.  I covered the hardware holes with a wood medallion I bought at Hobby Lobby.  I also glazed in a few places like the medallion.


Here is the drawer front on the furniture below.


And here is a before/after picture.


The great thing about these is they are light weight for hanging.  There is no way you would know these are plastic instead of wood by just looking and who is going to go touch your wall panels and tap it to see if it sounds like wood, lol.  I find I tap everything I pick up in the thrift store to see what it is made of.

Linked up to:
Funky Junk Interiors
Nifty Thrifty Things
Debbiedoos
thegirlcreative
The Dedicated House
Timewashed Blissful White Wednesday

21 comments:

  1. How cute! Neat idea and I love the color. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting, I love the ideas of a newbie link party!

      Delete
  2. Ingenious idea - love it...dropping in from Debbidoos - am a new follower....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project--I love all the swirls in the drawer fronts, and they are so pretty in white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have a matching china cabinet from the same auction, I think I will leave the drawer fronts on and paint the whole thing white, one day.... :)

      Delete
  4. FABULOUS idea! I think this is brilliant. There are so many pieces like this that could be upgraded into art!!

    Visiting from Debbiedoos. i hope you will visit me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I did. You have me inspired to start painting my dresser soon!

      Delete
  5. Well, that is completely fantastic! Love it! What a great way to get so many uses out of one piece of furniture. Thank you for sharing. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/10/make-it-pretty-monday-week-20.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool upcycle! I actually have a frieze similar to this that I got at Hobby Lobby several years ago. I would never have guessed yours was plastic! It's awesome!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have my eye out for other pieces made like this now!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Selina, What a great idea to use the drawer fronts for another look. They turned out perfect with the added embellishment. I tap treasures when I am junk hunting too. LOL
    Thanks for sharing. I so enjoyed my visit and now a new follower too.
    Hugs, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great re-use of the drawer fronts! They look lovely!!
    Thanks so much for sharing on Blissful Whites Wednesday!!
    Have a lovely Thursday!!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how these look and I love your creative transformation. You have a good eye for seeing beauty :)

    So nice stopping by to visit!
    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice! It’s amazing how recycling can bring us little treasures. I did have a similar project, but I used old bed headboards as living room panels instead. Making those plastic drawer fronts look like real wood is definitely a sight to see on your wall. I would love to see your visitors’ sighs of admiration when they see these panels. =)

    Regards,
    Rodney Orton

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, I would like to follow your blog via email but when I try it says that it is not email enabled, although there is a section for subscribing via email. Could you enlighten me please. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for alerting me to this!! I just fixed it so try again, thanks!

      Delete
  13. Excellent blog very nice and unique information. Thanks for sharing such valuable information about plasitic wall panels.

    ReplyDelete