Saturday, November 24, 2012

Mantle Before and After


This is one of my favorite before and afters in my house.  I like the look, but we also got a real wood burning fireplace in the end!  The brass fireplace screen bugged me from day one and it was so easy to take out, I don't know what took me so long to try!   We removed the gas logs and bought this pretty screen from Lowe's.  I found the mirror for $4.00 at a yard sale and I couldn't get it in my car without it falling apart so it needed some minor work but not much.  I removed most of the veneer which was in bad shape and just left it rustic and imperfect which makes it kind of perfect :)


The planters on the end are from the thrift store, $3.00 total for the planters.  The blue and green glass jars are a collection, most from family and some from thrifts.  I love these jars on the mantle with the wall color.  The little tin tile plaque in the center you see below.  I made it from taking apart a cheap frame to get these tiles and reusing someone's discarded craft plaque, both from the thrift store.  Some glue, a paint job and it was done!



And here is a better picture of the before.  My whole house matched this den a year ago, sigh!


Coming up soon, my $7.50 wall in this room.  A huge wall mirror and custom art for $7.50!  Hey that sounds like my mantle, but its not :)
Here it is, My $7.50 wall.

Linking to: Funky Junk Interiors

Thrifty Decor Chick

5 comments:

  1. Your mantel looks great! I love the wall color and the way the white pops against it. The tin plaque looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and of course I love your blog name! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I love the color too! Our blog names do have a similar ring of color, don't they? I'm following and can't wait to read your posts!

      Delete
  2. I can hardly recognize the old fireplace. It's a great redo! Even if you had to repair the mirror, it was a great buy. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love your style and can't wait to see what you come up with next!

      Delete