Thursday, July 25, 2013

White China Cabinet

I was lucky enough to buy this 1970ish china cabinet and its matching buffet at an auction for $50 total.  BUT it smelled horrendous, worst stale cigarette smell in the world! I will never buy another piece of furniture that smells like that!   But guess what,  I didn't smell it before I bought it!  You better believe I am sticking my nose in every piece of used furniture I buy from now on!!  You can read about the buffet makeover here and here is the china cabinet. 


I used a stain blocking primer and MANY coats of white paint.  For the record, I will never paint another china cabinet..... We removed the backing in hopes of removing the odor and letting it air out.  It sat in my garage for months while I tried all the odor removing remedies I could find.    The odor improved but I keep air fresheners in the cabinet just in case :)  The back was replaced with crisp white bead board and I sprayed the hardware with oil rubbed bronze paint, I bought clear glass knobs for the drawers.

No the best side by side, but you get the idea!



This is where I started.


See all the pretty 1970s detail!!


I chose to remove the extra trim on the doors to make it looks less heavy and dated.  I also filled in the holes and moved the pulls.  



In the end, I love it!  I love the storage and a place to put all my pretties!

Linking up to:
Savvy Southern Style

Beyond the Picket Fence

1 comment:

  1. Aint paint divine?! What a fabulous, fresh look. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete