Friday, January 10, 2014

How To Mount Collections on Burlap



Mounting collections on burlap or any fabric is easier than it looks!  I don't have pictures of the process but I am here to tell you how.

  • Start with a frame painted and ready to go.
  • Cut a piece of foam core board or cardboard to fit inside the frame.
  • Cut a piece of burlap or fabric to cover what you just cut to size.
  • For this next step, you need a small paint brush, a small cup of water and Elmer's white glue.  Squirt a moderate amount of glue all around the cardboard/foam core and then a wet paintbrush to smooth it out and fill the entire piece, re-wet the paintbrush as needed. Thinned out glue needs to be everywhere.
  • Lay the fabric down on the glue and smooth out.  I usually place a book or something heavy on it while it dries so it doesn't curl up.
  • When it is dry, you are ready to mount your collections.  I used hot glue on everything you see below and it holds well but you can also also pop it off and peel the glue off if you change you mind.
  • Mount the covered piece in the frame.  If your frame has no way to hold it in, you can use glazier points like these.





I have mounted heavier things using this technique but didn't use hot glue. I used gorilla glue or E6000 for those. These projects aren't reversible!
Most of these framed collection lives in my oldest son's nature inspired room seen here.

Let me know what you have mounted and framed, I'd love to hear!

Linking up to:
The Cottage Market
Coastal Charm

4 comments:

  1. What a great and informative post! Thanks for sharing! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! Just what I needed as I have a sliced nautilis shell that needs to be mounted and I didn't know what glue to use. You've made my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this helped you, thanks for the comment.

      Delete