Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Repurposed Welcome Sign

I made this BIG welcome sign from a headboard, an old broken headboard from the 1970's that was made of that heavy duty molded plastic.  A local thrift store was moving and had a free pile- I snagged the headboard and more and reduced the pile by half that day :)  There were many steps for the vision in my head to come to fruition and I did not realize how hard this plastic was to modify  so it took awhile. With my husband's help, this is what it became.  I knew it would be perfect for a big entry.

It is huge, its almost 4 feet wide.

This is the headboard before any changes. I saw so much potential!

 
I decided the side panels had to go and I was thinking it would be a chalkboard early on, but I changed my mind.

 I liked this shape much better but....

 Those raw edges presented a big problem so this got 
put to the side for awhile.

I dug it back out and added a 1 x 2 piece to the sides with some crazy nailing and bracing because there was hardly anything to nail to.  I painted and lightly distressed and added some beadboard.

I added an piece of vinyl I had and never used  and it was perfect.  A customer bought it for her porch.

Happy junking folks, go find some good stuff!

Linking to:
Beyond the Picket Fence
Timewashed

7 comments:

  1. Wow! That is very pretty! I would not have seen that, you did good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have another headboard project coming soon.

      Delete
  2. This is so..unique!
    I never would've thought of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I wish I had the space for it myself but I didn't.
      Selina

      Delete
  3. I love it! I can just see it on a porch, too. Love the color!

    ReplyDelete