Monday, April 7, 2014

Fairy Gardens with My Kids and Thrift Store Junk

I knew when I started seeing all the cute images of fairy gardens I wanted to do some version of one with my boys. I made a few trips to the thrift store with a different eye and spent less than $10 on everything you see to make these four fairy gardens, excluding the plants.  They were fun to make and they dove right in.  I wanted to be a little more prepared and paint a few of the bright colors to be more rustic, but I didn't get to it.  Lets just say if I had all the supplies to make my own, they would have looked different, not better just different.  :)  


First off is my 6 year old's garden with an animal theme!  I had picked up that metal piece which I think was a Hershey kiss ornament and he wanted to put a bird in the "cage".  Our birds were too big but this money was just the right size and his brother helped him hang it.  I loved the outcome!!


He added the dandelions which wilted later that day but this is what he did.  The marbles are "water" and those brass pieces are fish.


I cut up a broken white basket up to make the fences for all of them.

I got the scraps of what was left of making the other 3 and did one too.  I wish I has more room! The butterfly is my garden gate,


Those moss and bark pieces are little metal boxes I made into chairs.


 This one belongs to my 12 year old son.  He has a hill in his and lots of different textures.

 We took some of the basket pieces and curved them around for the arbors. We just simply stuck the ends in the dirt and it stayed.

This one belongs to my 10 year old son, he was the first to claim the prized bridge you see. He made a tree out of a stick and dried moss and I love the fenced off bird section.  Scale is impossible to get right if you do one with thrift store supplies like we did, so we just ignored scale.


 I'm curious to see how they look when the plants grow and as things weather.  I'm sure some elements will have to be replaced over time, and I'm still collecting elements to use. I plan to tuck the pots in among the flower beds, right now they are on the patio steps.



No comments:

Post a Comment