Friday, March 27, 2015

Salvaged Molding Coffee Table Top

I love adding repurposed tops to outdated and damaged tables. Adding rustic or pallet wood is what I usually do.  Do you remember the red tables I redid?   Here is my first try at stacked salvaged molding for a table top.  I love stacked molding and have used that idea on several projects, like this cross and this piece.

I knew the client I was making this for would use a tray and an uneven surface did not matter.  As you scroll through the pictures you will see how its made and the type of wood I used. 

Salvaged Wood

Teals and white, aged and distressed.

Salvaged Molding


This started as a cheap oval coffee table. I took the top off and am saving it for another repurpose, I just don't know what yet.


To use the thinner molding I had as a top, I created two support pieces so it would support some weight without breaking.



 I attached the support pieces with pocket holes and screws.  I have the basic Kreg Jr. jig and while a  nicer model would be great to have, this one gets the job done for what I need and it was cheap.  I cut each piece to length and laid it out but I painted the pieces before I attached them.  I attached the boards to the base with some wood glue and a nail gun. 

Below is a bad picture from my dark garage but I wanted you to see the molding.  This is door trim and very basic molding, I did choose pieces that were similar in thickness to minimize the unevenness of the top.


All and all, this was easy and I will do another top like this soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment